January Professional Member of the Month
Scotney Fenton, AIA
RDG Planning and Design
Partner and Project Manager
1. Our profession is built on the value of relationships and opportunities; how do you prepare for a meeting with a new client?
I try to research a little bit about the client’s background, including previous projects, their context, and even their history. This gives me a better idea about where they are coming from and opportunities to identify personal connections to people and places.
2. We often design to improve the health of people and the environment; how do you wind
down in the evenings to maintain a balanced lifestyle?
Spending time together as a family has always been important, and it seems like evenings are the best time for my wife, our son, and myself to get together. It is not always structured time, but it gives us a chance to reconnect despite all of our different schedules.
3. In 2017 technology is at our fingertips - what is your favorite app and/or website?
I do rely on my phone now for a lot my news and entertainment, like the Des Moines Register and Netflix. I also listen to Audiobooks through my phone while I’m traveling.
4. As professionals we are versed in community interaction and collaboration; what are you
involved in outside the realm of architecture/design?
I serve on the Des Moines Historic Preservation Commission, but that’s not outside the realm of architecture very far. My son & I are both in Cub Scouts, and my wife and I are active at church.
5. We are Iowa Women in Architecture; who were the female role models that inspired you?
Several of my grade school teachers imparted a strong interest in math and science that I still carry with me today. I try to learn something every day, and teach something every day, no matter where I am at.