May Professional Member of the Month
1. Our profession is built on the value of relationships and opportunities; how do you prepare for a meeting with a new client?
Each client is definitely different but research any applicable topics, create a list of questions that I really need to have answered to understand the needs and wants of the new project, and try and gain an understanding of project through RFP – those things can typically tell you a lot.
2. We often design to improve the health of people and the environment; how do you wind down in the evenings to maintain a balanced lifestyle?
Hanging out with fiancé, cooking dinner or going to our favorite restaurants, and watching bad television shows and playing cribbage – definitely try to remove myself from work mindset and put down the phone.
3. In 2018 technology is at our fingertips - what is your favorite app and/or website?
Website – The Everygirl: get lifestyle website that has some really great articles; App – Feedly: brings all my favorite websites into one place, anything from Buzzfeed to NPR along with all of the design sites I follow.
4. As professionals we are versed in community interaction and collaboration; what are you involved in outside the realm of architecture/design?
I was incredibly involved both in the realm of architecture and outside of it but went a little too full tilt and experienced burn out, which I honestly thought was a myth. For a handful of years, I was involved in Young Professional Connections, Iowa Women in Architecture, IA Iowa PR Committee, IA Architect Editorial Board, and Big Hair Ball planning committee. They are all great organizations and have taught me things that I never would have learned at a firm. I took a step back the past six months and am just starting to look at new organizations and community involvement to fill some of the roles I’ve stepped down from. I also am in a cook book club with about 20 of my colleagues and friends – not all 20 make it every month but it’s a fantastic way to figure out how other women are balancing their lives and just enjoy female friends – we’re definitely a build ourselves up kind of group.
5. We are Iowa Women in Architecture; who were the female role models that inspired you?
Current women in RDG – they are kicking butt and taking names and a constant source of inspiration and amazement. Also, must give a nod to my mother – she taught me how to both have a life, family and career; it truly is about the daily push and pull of each facet of yourself and figuring out what needs to give that day.