January Student Member of the Month | Jenna Wiegand
- Where do you attend school and what type of design work would you like to pursue?
I just graduated from Iowa State University with a Bachelor of Architecture degree. My passion is innovative design and public interest design.
- Why did you choose the design/construction field?
My father owned his own roofing business and took me to work with him starting at a young age. My favorite days were when we went to new construction sites, and I would build and sculpt with scrap material. By the fourth grade, I told him I wanted to design things and that blossomed into my love of architecture.
- What motivates you to work towards a career in design/construction?
What motivates me is that technology is always improving and the limits are being pushed all to create spaces that positively affect those who use it.
- What is the best advice you have received?
Do not limit yourself to what you ‘think’ can be done.
- How has Iowa Women in Architecture influenced you?
Iowa Women in Architecture has taught me that my concerns are shared by many and need to be voiced to empower the women in all design fields. They have influenced me to be part of the student group and speak to students about some of these issues, and to start conversations on the matter.