APRIL STUDENT MEMBER OF THE MONTH | REBECCA SCHODIN
1. Where do you attend school and what type of design work would you like to pursue?
I am a fourth year architecture student at Iowa State University. I would like to pursue architecture work at a non-traditional firm that values innovation and sustainable design.
2. Why did you choose the design/construction field?
I chose the design field because I always enjoyed art and design classes when I was younger. In high school I took an interior design class which allowed me to discover my interest in buildings and architecture.
3. What motivates you to work towards a career in design/construction?
I am motivated by the opportunity to create spaces that improve the lives of people. I believe that the way a space is designed can change the way people work and feel.
4. What is the best advice you have received?
If you have a crazy idea, run with it because innovation does not come from recreating the same ideas.
5. How has Iowa Women in Architecture influenced you?
Iowa Women in Architecture has shown me that there are many students as well as professionals that strive to empower women across all design fields. It has also allowed me to make connections and expand my network with professionals that share these values.