Des Moines is a globally connected community and one of the nation’s hotspots for a growing downtown. It is no shock to see construction cranes scattered throughout downtown - a clear sign of a growing city - especially around the nearly complete 330-room Hilton hotel attached to the Iowa Events Center. However, the story of the Iowa Events Center Hotel actually started more than a decade ago with visions from community leaders who saw the untapped potential of Des Moines. With completion of the Hotel set for early 2018, the development is expected to land in demand conventions and sporting events in Des Moines. Officials hope the Hotel will attract more visitors downtown and serve as a continued catalyst for Des Moines’ economic development goals.
Iowa Women in Architecture, CREW Iowa, and Urban Land Institute will be hosting a tour of the Events Center Hotel followed by a lunch and panel discussion with some of the key players who have helped bring this vision of the Hotel – and a booming and vibrant downtown - into reality.
You can register for the event here.
Location + Parking:
Location: Meet at the Events Center Hotel (5th and Park Street) under the front entry canopy.
Parking: Downtown on-street parking is available and public parking garages are available at the 5th & Keo Parking Garage and at 4th and Grand.
Events Center Hotel, 5th Street & Park Street, Des Moines, IA 50309
11:00AM - 12:00PM
- Ben Bunge, Events Center Hotel Project Manager - The Weitz Company
- Matt Felling, Hilton General Manager
Panel Discussion (Lunch provided):
RDG, 301 Grand Avenue, Des Moines, IA 50309
- Moderator: Erin Olson-Douglas, Economic Development Director - City of Des Moines
- Panelist: Ben Bunge, Events Center Hotel Project Manager - The Weitz Company
- Panelist: Davis Sanders, Principal - RDG
- Panelist: Mark Wandro, County Administrator - Polk County
- Panelist: Jenny Herrera, Events Center Project Engineer - The Weitz Company