December Professional Member of the Month
Neumann Monson Architects
1. Our profession is built on the value of relationships and opportunities; how do you prepare for a meeting with a new client?
I go into it ready to listen. Listening is important in all meetings, but especially with new clients. We must understand client’s motivation for a project and goals in order to deliver the right product. That is one of the best parts of this profession, making clients ideas come to life.
2. We often design to improve the health of people and the environment; how do you wind down in the evenings to maintain a balanced lifestyle?
I usually curl up my dog and catch up on the day’s news, watch some tv, or go for a walk. I love to cook, but mainly keep the large meals to the weekend and stick to something easy during the week. Our weekday go-to is tacos. Funny how many leftovers get reimagined into some sort of taco too.
3. In 2018 technology is at our fingertips - what is your favorite app and/or website?
I love my Spotify, especially since it works with my speaker system at home. I love creating playlists and finding new songs to jam to.
4. As professionals we are versed in community interaction and collaboration; what are you involved in outside the realm of architecture/design?
I am currently participating in the West Des Moines Leadership Academy, in which I’ve learned a lot about the community I live in and met many great professionals outside the design industry. We are currently planning a fantastic event to benefit the West Des Moines Human Services. Hopefully we will see some of our members there!
5. We are Iowa Women in Architecture; who were the female role models that inspired you?
Basically, any women who was unapologetically themselves. To name a few, RGB, Dottie Hinson, my Mother and Grandmother, Michelle Obama, Leslie Knope, and our iaWia Members.