January Professional Member of the Month
AIA, LEED AP BD & C
Hubbell Realty, Design Manager Hubbell Homes
1. Our profession is built on the value of relationships and opportunities; how do you prepare for a meeting with a new client?
I like to keep an open minded attitude whenever I meet a new client. I think it is very important to build relationships, to learn something about my client, and to build rapport. I find that a project goes a lot smoother if there is a mutual understanding between the clients which I consider a part of my team.
2. We often design to improve the health of people and the environment; how do you wind down in the evenings to maintain a balanced lifestyle?
I love to bike and row. In winter my evenings are short as I exercise early in the morning. After work I like to relax at home, plan my next travels, make jewelry, or paint. I would love to read more but typically fall asleep after a short time.
3. In 2019 technology is at our fingertips - what is your favorite app and/or website?
WhatsApp, Podbean, NYTimes.
4. As professionals we are versed in community interaction and collaboration; what are you involved in outside the realm of architecture/design?
I volunteer for the American Lung Association, Easter Seals, and Ronald McDonald House. I'm an active member of several bike clubs, support activities at the Art Center, and chair the Marketing efforts for the annual Regatta of the Des Moines Rowing Club.
5. We are Iowa Women in Architecture; who were the female role models that inspired you?
I didn’t have any role models growing up but I was always inspired by strong independent women who found their own way: My German teacher in High school, fellow female architecture students at Stuttgart University, Germany, and female Architects I met in Iowa like Laura Kessel (Past iaWia President), LaDan Omidvar, and Kate Schwennsen, to name a few. As I get older I'm increasingly inspired by women outside of architecture, women with a strong sense of self, like my good friend and business owner Ali Hatfield and Roe Crosbie, owner of Tero International.